Top Tips for an Eco-Friendly Wedding
More and more people factor sustainability into their wedding plans. We often get asked what we can do to support couples looking to have an eco-friendly big day – Liz, our Weddings Manager, has put together her top tips on how you can make small changes to your plans that can have a big impact.
- Check your venue is eco-friendly! At Ellenborough Park we are working with Green Tourism to make ourselves a more sustainable business. We have entered at a bronze level and now have a “Green Team” in place who are continually working on reducing our negative environmental impact.
- Biodegrade confetti and glitter! Lavender, rose petals, fresh herbs, and a mix of micro flowers are biodegradable. Put them in large baskets so guests can take handfuls, rather than small individual bags.
- Eco-Friendly Wedding Favours- Charity pins, wildflower seeds, homemade jam from reusable jars, edible favours are all lovely ways of treating your guests.
- Vintage pre-loved dresses are becoming more and more popular. There are plenty of website dedicated to pre-loved wedding dresses.
- Recycled or recyclable invites and menus. Talk to your stationary company to see if they have any options. Having your own dedicated wedding website is also a great way of reducing paper in the lead up to your day.
- Go seasonal with flowers
Spring: Tulips, white daffodils, lilac, forget-me-nots, blossom
Summer: Peonies, sweet peas, sunflowers and roses. Foxgloves, snapdragons ,flowering herbs such as mint, rosemary, bay and sage.
Autumn: Dahlias, calla lilies, hydrangeas and gourds and squashes
Winter: Narcissus, poinsettia , amaryllis, brassica – ornamental cabbages!
- Don’t let your flowers go to waste! Gift them to guests and offer them out at breakfast the next day. Or, you could donate to local residential home or church.
- Eco friendly wedding transport or no transport at all.
- Think about incorporating a vegetarian/vegan menu, if you don’t want to have the full menu as vegetarian you could consider choosing this for your starter or evening food.
- Choose eco-friendly rings – Eco Wood Rings can collect wood from our grounds to create beautiful bespoke rings using Fairtrade certified gold or silver too.
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *. Comments will not be published until approved.